Choosing the Right Title Company
How to find the right title company for you.
In today’s market, choosing the right title company is more important than ever. You need a company that has the history, strength and expertise to handle the continual changes resulting from the various CFPB regulations while also living up to the Bureau’s mission of better informing you, the consumer, to make the decisions that are right for you.
Some criteria to consider when discussing potential title companies with your real estate agent:
- Is the title company an agent or wholly owned affiliate of its insurance underwriter?
- Do they carry any form of Errors & Omissions insurance to cover closing errors?
- Is their title insurance underwriter a publicly traded company?
- What information can be found to demonstrate the financial strength of the title company and its underwriter?
- What are the underwriter’s financial strength ratings?
- How long has the title company been in business?
- What is the general reputation in the real estate community for service and trustworthiness?
- Is there a local office or offices?
- Does the title company have competitive pricing and fees?
- Do they offer any added-value tools or services to improve the transaction experience?
- Are there any pending complaints with the Division of Insurance?
- What is the national reputation of the title company?
At Stewart Title, we believe we have the best answers to those questions. Feel free to give us a call to learn more about Stewart Title, the CFPB or title insurance in general. Visit our locate an office section for a local connection.
Sellers, buyers, borrowers, lenders and agents, attorneys, or employees of those persons – please confirm you are in compliance with your state DOI regulations before utilizing any resources, content or information from this site.