The Stewart Building
Julius Kauffman (1856 - 1935) and Julius Runge (1851 - 1906), second generation owners of a commission firm established in 1842, had architect Eugene T. Heiner design this Renaissance Revival building in the North Italian mode. Contractor Robert Palisser completed the structure in 1882. Then known as the world's foremost cotton exporters and the initiators of coffee imports from Brazil, Kauffman-Runge also brought significant numbers of settlers to Texas. They housed commodities on the building's ground floor, and had offices above. Many highly-respected Galveston firms had business quarters here.
In 1905 the property was bought by Maco Stewart (1871 - 1938), who redesigned the interior to create a gallery effect with an arched skylight on the top floor. A foresighted, dynamic lawyer, Maco Stewart founded Stewart Title, which is the largest Texas Title Insurance Company. Throughout its expansion across the United States, it continuously had offices in this structure of its origin.
Although the Stewart building is a priceless historical landmark precious to the Stewart companies, its occupant, Stewart Title of Galveston, is equally dynamic as a major income-producer for the Company. Throughout its history, the Galveston office of Stewart Title has held top honors in having the highest percentage of the title business market of Stewart offices in major Texas cities. Our Galveston Associates have provided leadership, stability, and dedication to Company goals since 1893. Galveston is the Centennial office, and the Stewart Building is the symbol of Stewart tradition and strength.