To become more familiar with the licensing process here are a few things you should know. There are two types of License Packages both have similar forms and requirements, a Long Form and a Short Form.
A Short Form license package is used for:
- Corporate or Assumed Name Change with no new partners added
- Addition of Underwriter
- Addition or Deletion of County
- Ownership Change less than 50%
- Change in Agent Location or Mailing Address
- Withdrawal of a Partner and No New Partners Added
- Change in Trade Name
- Cancelled License due to Non-Renewal *within 90 days from expiration date
A Long Form license package is used for:
- Brand New Title Agents Never Before Licensed
- Change of Partnership with New Partners Added
- Change of Sole Proprietor
- Non-Domestic Company Licensed in other States but NOT in Texas
- Change in Corporate Ownership of 50% or more
- Cancelled License due to Non-Renewal *after 90 days from expiration date
Approval time varies with each license package, depending on the proposed Title Agent circumstances and The Texas Department of Insurance workload. A complete Short Form package can take up to 2 weeks, whereas a Long Form package can take 4 or more. This is because the Long Form package requires many more items.
There are two phases to the approval process. Our Stewart corporate office approves all Stewart forms, such as the background check and credit check forms. It is very important for the title agent to complete and submit the Stewart forms to the Texas Licensing Coordinator, Theresa Olivier, as soon as possible. These forms need to be processed before the license package can be sent to the Texas Department of Insurance. Secondly, the Texas Department of Insurance approves the remaining documents, should the package require further information or additional documents, Theresa will be notified by TDI and you will be notified.