General Licensing Information
To become more familiar with the licensing process here are a few things you should know. There are basically two types of License Packages both have similar forms and requirements. They are called a Long Form and a Short Form.
A Short Form license package is used for:
- Corporate or Assumed Name Change with no new partners added
- Addition of Underwriter
- Addition or Deletion of County
- Ownership Change less than 50%
- Change in Agent Location or Mailing Address
- Withdrawal of a Partner and No New Partners Added
- Change in Trade Name
- Cancelled License due to Non-Renewal *within 90 days from expiration date
A Long Form License package is used for:
- Brand New Title Agents Never Before Licensed
- Change of Partnership with New Partners Added
- Change of Sole Proprietor
- Non-Domestic Company Licensed in other States but NOT in Texas
- Change in Corporate Ownership of 50% or more
- Cancelled License due to Non-Renewal *after 90 days from expiration date
Approval time varies with each license package, depending on the type of license package submitted and The Texas Department of Insurance workload. A complete Short Form package can approximately 2 weeks. The Long Form package requires more items so it can take 3 or more for approval.
There are two phases to the approval process: First, our Stewart Corporate office approves all stewart forms including the background check and credit check. It is important the perspective title agent complete these forms as soon as possible. These forms need to be processed before the license package can be sent to the Texas Department of Insurance. Secondly, the Texas Department of Insurance approves the remaining documents, should the package require further information or additional documents, Angela will be notified by the department, she will notify the Agency Services Manager, and the Agency Services Manager will notify the agent. (Unless prior arrangements are made for her to notify the agent directly.)
In some circumstances, the Agency Service Manager may have internal background checks waived by George Houghton or Patrick Beall for an existing agent. You will need to e-mail the request and copy Angela Fling with a statement as to why this particular background check should be waived. When the response is made it will notify both the Agency Service Manager and Angela of the approval. The District Manager Approval Form/Agency Services Approval Form,cannot be waived. This form must be completed for each and every agent and submitted at the same time as the Stewart Applications/ Waiver are complete.