Washington, D.C., November 2, 2012 — The American Land Title Association (ALTA), the national trade association of the land title insurance industry, announced that Stewart Morris Jr. has been appointed to its Board of Governors for the 2012-2013 year.
Morris Jr., who has nearly 40 years of industry experience, is vice chairman of Stewart Information Services Corp.
“It is an honor to serve on the board of an association committed to communicating and enhancing the value of the title insurance and settlement services industry that serves the consumer and the participants of real estate transactions as the transaction manager, third party stakeholder and/or protector of property rights,” Morris said. “I look forward to working closely with the entire board as we pursue the many opportunities in front of us.”
The 11-member ALTA Board of Governors is responsible for creating association policy, managing the financial health of the association and ensuring the overall welfare of the association.
Morris previously served as president and co-CEO of Stewart Information Services and president of Stewart Title, which he joined in 1973. Morris Jr. was elected vice president of Stewart Title in 1975, and was named president of Stewart Title and chairman of Stewart Title Guaranty Co. in 1991. Under the direction of Morris, Stewart has become a real estate information industry leader in technology for productivity and e-commerce as well as a host of settlement services needed to close real estate transactions.
“Stewart brings a valuable perspective on the challenges facing the land title industry and we are fortunate to have him on our board to help guide ALTA’s strategic vision and goals,” said Michelle Korsmo, chief executive officer of ALTA. “His experience, knowledge and dedication will be essential as the association addresses issues impacting the title industry and strives to better serve consumers.”
Morris graduated with a Bachelor of Arts degree from Rice University in 1971 and received a Master of Business Administration from the University of Texas in 1973.
Members of ALTA’s 2012-2013 Board of Governors are:
- President: Frank Pellegrini (Oak Park, Illinois)
- President-Elect: Rob Chapman (Minneapolis, Minnesota)
- Treasurer: Peter Birnbaum (Chicago, Illinois)
- Chair of Finance Committee: Dan Mennenoh (Galena, Illinois)
- Agents Section Chair: Diane Evans (Denver, Colorado)
- Agents Section Representative: Bill Burding (Santa Ana, California)
- Agents Section Representative: Herschel Beard (Madill, Oklahoma)
- Underwriters Section Chair: John Hollenbeck (Santa Ana, California)
- Underwriters Section Representative: Steven Day (Jacksonville, Florida)
- Underwriters Section Representative: Stewart Morris Jr. (Houston, Texas)
- Immediate Past President: Chris Abbinante (Jacksonville, Florida)
The American Land Title Association, founded in 1907, is a national trade association representing more than 4,000 title insurance companies, title agents, independent abstracters, title searchers, and attorneys. ALTA members conduct title searches, examinations, closings, and issue title insurance that protects real property owners and mortgage lenders against losses from defects in titles.