ALTA Policy Comparison

Stewart offers our residential customers two levels of coverage for your protection. The standard policy covers you for defects and liens in the history of your title through the date and time your deed is recorded in the public records. The ALTA® Homeowner’s policy provides enhanced coverage, protecting you from additional risks, including some that might occur after the deed is recorded.

Coverages included without endorsement
Assumes compliance with Stewart Title Guaranty Company's underwriting requirements for issuance of the applicable policy.
Policy 2006
Policy (02-03-10)
Covered Risks
Third party claims an interest in the title
Prior forgery, fraud or duress affecting the title
Liens or encumbrances on the title (e.g., prior mortgage or deed of trust, state or federal tax lien, condominium or homeowners' association lien)
Improperly executed documents
Defective recording of documents
Unmarketability of the title
Lack of a right of legal access to and from the land
Restrictive covenants limiting your use of the land
Gap Coverage (extending coverage from the closing to the recording of the deed)
Coverage continues as long as you own the property
Policy insures anyone who inherits the property from you
Policy insures the trustee of an estate-planning trust
Policy insures the beneficiaries of a trust upon your death
Extended Coverage
Parties in possession of the property that are not disclosed by the public records (e.g., tenants, adverse possessors)
Unrecorded easements (e.g., prescriptive easements) affecting the property
Encroachments that would be disclosed by a survey
Mechanic's liens (a lien against the property due to non-payment of work)
Taxes or special assessments that are not shown as liens by the public records
Additional Coverages
Actual vehicular and pedestrian access, based upon a legal right
You must correct or remove an existing violation of certain covenants, conditions or restrictions
Loss of your title resulting from a prior violation of a covenant, condition or restriction
Up to $10,000 if you are unable to obtain a building permit due to an existing violation of a subdivision law or regulation or you must correct an existing violation (subject to a deductible)
Up to $25,000 if you must remedy or remove an existing structure because it was built without a proper building permit (subject to a deductible)
Up to $25,000 if you must remedy or remove an existing structure due to an existing violation of a zoning law or zoning regulation (subject to a deductible)
Up to $5,000 if you must remove your existing structures if they encroach onto your neighbor's land (subject to a deductible)
You cannot use the land as a single-family residence because such use violates an existing zoning law or zoning regulation
You are forced to remove your existing structures because they encroach into an easement or over a setback line
Damage to existing structures due to an exercise of an existing right to use any easement affecting the land
Damage to improvements due to an exercise of an existing right to use the surface of the land for the extraction or development of minerals, water or any other substance
Attempted enforcement of discriminatory covenant
Supplemental taxes because of prior construction or change of ownership or use
Damages if the residence is not located at the address stated in the policy
Pays substitute rent and relocation expenses, if you cannot use your home because
of a claim covered by the policy
Automatic increase in policy amount up to 150% of policy amount over five years
Post Policy Coverages
Forgery affecting the title
Unauthorized leases, contracts or options
Ownership claims
Easements or restrictions affecting your use of the land
Encroachment of neighbor's buildings onto your land

* Not automatically included in the basic policy, but may be available by extended coverage. Both policies contain certain stipulations and conditions as set out by Stewart Title Guaranty Company and the American Land Title Association®. If you have questions regarding your legal rights under the various policies, we suggest you contact your attorney