Eerie Warnings to Heed: A List of Threats Lurking in Real Estate Transactions
Many relish telling tales of haunted houses and restless spirits around this time of year. But for those in the real estate realm, there are threats far more tangible than ghosts and goblins that can spook even the bravest real estate professionals. From zombie zoning issues to cryptic claims, here are some of the most chilling threats lurking in real estate transactions for real estate agents and title agents to heed.
- Ghosted Sellers: If the current property owner is hard to locate or verify, tread carefully. Phantom owners can lead to scary complications or signal frightening fraudsters.
- Witchy Wording: Vague or ambiguous language in any document can cast a murky spell on a transaction. Beware of unclear terms!
- Digital Draculas: Malware and ransomware can suck the lifeblood out of an agency. It’s essential to have protective measures in place, like updated firewalls and antivirus solutions. Digital vampires infiltrate systems, locking out users and demanding ransom for release.
- Goblin Gaps: Beware of unexplained time gaps in the property’s ownership history. You wouldn't want any skeletons hiding in the title closet.
- Haunted History: Liens, judgments, or unpaid taxes that haven't been disclosed can make a title haunted. Double-check for any lingering spirits.
- Mysterious Signatures: If signatures look suspiciously different or seem out of place, it might be the handiwork of mischievous imps. Always authenticate!
- Zombie Zoning Issues: Undisclosed easements or restrictions can come back from the dead to haunt a property. Dig deep to uncover any lurking issues.
- Vampire Verification: If anyone is trying to rush the closing or push things forward without proper verification, be wary! Some vampires suck more than just blood.
- Werewolf Witnesses: Questionable witnesses to the signing of essential documents can be a sign of beastly intentions. Make sure all are legitimate!
- Black Cat Crossing: Beware of sellers who are overly eager to drop the price without a clear reason. There might be something they're trying to hide in the shadows.
- Cryptic Claims: Any past claims that are not cleared up can rise like zombies. Ensure they're settled before they come knocking.
This Halloween, while enjoying the thrill of spooky stories and haunted houses, take a moment to reflect on the very real threats lurking in the world of real estate transactions. By staying vigilant and taking necessary precautions, title and real estate agents can ensure that their deals are free from these eerie threats and ensure that their clients' dream homes don't turn into nightmares.
Want to learn more about these spooky signs? Summon your local Stewart Title office or agency representative to unearth resources to help shield your clients and business from dark forces and lighten your haunted workload.
Looking for more tips? Make sure to check out our Home Buyer and Seller Corner and check out the articles below:
Home Maintenance Checklist for Winter
Home Inspection vs. Home Appraisal: What’s the Difference?